Eastwood Primary School and Nursery values every child and recognises those families who strive to achieve good attendance. We are also committed to working with families to identify reasons for persistent absence, supporting them in improving attendance so that every child has a chance to succeed.
For a child to reach their full educational achievement, a high level of school attendance is essential. We will consistently work towards achieving the school target of 96.5% attendance for all children. Every opportunity will be used to convey to children and their families the importance of regular and punctual attendance. If there are problems that affect a child's attendance, we will work in partnership with families and children to resolve the problems as quickly and effectively as possible.
School attendance is subject to various education laws and this school’s attendance policy is written to reflect these laws along with the guidance provided by the Department for Education. The school will examine the attendance figures weekly and set targets in accordance with the decision of Governors. The school will review its systems for improving attendance at regular intervals to ensure that it is achieving set goals.
We will adhere to the Code of Conduct under the Provision of the Education (Penalty Notices) Regulations 2004.
The school will use as many opportunities as possible to remind families that it is their responsibility to ensure their children receive their education.
We will also reward and celebrate attendance by
- Rewarding overall attendance and improvement through the use of daily, weekly, termly and yearly rewards.
- Daily Rewards:
- Dojo Points - Every child has their own Dojo account. If they are in class on time and completing their early morning work they receive Dojo points.
- Weekly Rewards:
- Class Trophies – The classes with the best overall weekly attendance, per key stage, are awarded the attendance trophy and an extra 20 minutes Green Time. Green Time is an allocated time where children can enjoy a range of activities and games to acknowledge their effort to improve attendance.
- Termly Rewards:
- Mickey on the Gate – Mickey and Minnie Mouse greet children at the playground gate throughout the term. They hand out Mickey Tickets to any children who are in school between 8.35am and 8.50m. If a child receives a Mickey Ticket they earn an additional Dojo points.
- Most Improved and Best overall attendance reward for the term – At the end of each term the class with the best overall attendance, for the term, are acknowledged with a class reward. This may vary from term to term and will be an experience or reward that all members of the classes will enjoy.
- Continued support towards attendance reward. This is usually in the form of a small gift (e.g. notepad/pencil) or an ice pole during the summer terms.
- End of the Academic Year:
- School Target reward
- Daily Rewards:
- Celebrating and publicising good and improving attendance for all years.
Persistent absence' refers to absence of more than 20%, whether authorised or unauthorised. Children with persistent absence are often those unlikely to achieve at school and stay in education after the age of 16 years. They are also significantly more likely to engage in anti-social behaviour and youth crime and are more at risk of other negative outcomes (including teenage pregnancy and drug and alcohol abuse).
Persistent absences are closely monitored. The attendance team work in partnership with families and if required outside agencies, to reduce persistent absences.
|Policy and Supporting Documents